The Future Economy Council (FEC) drives the growth and transformation of Singapore’s economy for the future. Chaired by Minister for Finance Mr. Heng Swee Keat, the Council comprises members from government, industry, unions, and educational and training institutions.
The FEC will oversee the implementation of the recommendations put forth by the Committee on the Future Economy (CFE), and will build on the work of the earlier Council for Skills, Innovation and Productivity, which includes SkillsFuture initiatives and Industry Transformation Maps.
View the full list of the members (63kb)
Members of the Future Economy Council (FEC)
Ms Mary Liew Kiah Eng
President, National Trades Union Congress
- Appointed as the first female Executive Secretary of Singapore Maritime Officers’ Union in 1999 and subsequently elected as its first female General Secretary in 2013.
Represents NTUC in various national bodies such as the Central Provident Fund (CPF) and National Wages Council.
First woman from South East Asia to be elected into the International Transport Workers’ Federation Executive Board representing the Asia Pacific region in 2010, and was re-elected in 2014.
Elected into the International Labour Organisation’s Governing Body since 2014 and served on various Working Groups in ILO.
Mr Desmond Choo
Assistant Secretary-General, National Trades Union Congress, Mayor of North East District and Member of Parliament for Tampines GRC
- Currently the Assistant Secretary-General at National Trades Union Congress (NTUC), holding two key portfolios as Director of the Youth Development Unit at NTUC, advocating young workers’ issues for Singapore’s largest youth movement and Director at the Industrial Relations Department, driving industry transformation and productivity.
Appointed Mayor of North East District overseeing social and community development for 18 constituencies.
Serves on the Board of Directors for Surbana Jurong and is also a committee member of the Global Compact Network Singapore’s Management Committee.
- Served in various roles in the Singapore Police Force (SPF), Ministry of Manpower and the private sector prior to NTUC. His last position before taking up his NTUC appointment was Senior Vice President, Investments, of Kestrel Capital Pte Ltd. He was instrumental in leading the acquisition of La Liga’s Valencia CF and development of the non-profit Foundation of Valencia CF. He was on the Board of the Foundation of Valencia CF, advising the development of Hotel Football in Manchester, UK.
Mr. Roland Ng
Chairman, Singapore Chinese Chamber of Commerce & Industry (SCCCI) & Managing Director and Group CEO of Tat Hong Holdings
- President of the Singapore Chinese Chamber of Commerce & Industry (SCCCI), an internationally renowned business organisation and the apex body of the Chinese business community in Singapore.
Managing Director & Group CEO of Tat Hong Holdings Ltd, one of the largest crane-owning companies in the world.
Serves in many public and civic institutions such as China & North Asia Business Group of Singapore Business Federation, Board of Trustees of Chinese Development Assistance Council (CDAC), Board of Directors of the Business China, (ACCORD) Advisory Council on Community Relations in Defence (Employers & Business Council).
Awarded Singapore Public Service Star (BBM) in 2010 and appointed as the Justice of the Peace (JP) in September 2015.
Mr. Teo Siong Seng
Executive Chairman/Managing Director of Pacific International Lines (Pte) Ltd
- Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Singamas Container Holdings Ltd, listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Chairman of the Singapore Business Federation (SBF).
- Member of the main committee of Singapore’s Committee on the Future Economy (CFE).
- Board Member of Enterprise Singapore (ESG).
- Honorary Consul of The United Republic of Tanzania in Singapore.
- Honorary President of Singapore Chinese Chamber of Commerce & Industry (SCCCI).
- Director, Business China.
- Co-Chairman of Africa-South East Asia Chamber of Commerce.
Independent non-executive Director of:
- COSCO Shipping Energy Transportation Co. Ltd.
- COSCO SHIPPING Holdings Co. Ltd.
Dr. Robert Yap
Executive Chairman, YCH Group
ASEAN Business Advisory Council Chair
- Develop and manage YCH Group, Singapore’s leading end-to-end supply chain management company with operations spanning across Asia Pacific, for the last four decades.
- Founder and chairman to the leading information technology and supply chain solutions company Y3 Technologies and Supply Chain City®, and also Chairman of Supply Chain Angels, a corporate venture fund, and Supply Chain Asia, a regional community of more than 45,000 industry professionals.
- Contributes on numerous local and international platforms, such as President of the Singapore National Employers Federation, Chairman of the ASEAN Business Advisory Council (2018), and member of the Joint Implementation Committee overseeing the Government-to-Government project in Chongqing, the Future Economy Council (FEC) and the Payments Council.
- Holds a Bachelor of Business Administration from the National University of Singapore, a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph. D), honoris causa, in Business Administration from the Wisconsin International University and an alumnus of the Harvard Business School Owner President Management (OPM 21) program.
Prof. Subra Suresh
President, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Formerly Director of the United States National Science Foundation (nominated by President Barack Obama), President of Carnegie Mellon University, and Dean of MIT’s School of Engineering.
- Serves on the Boards of SGX, HP Inc. (Palo Alto, California), A*STAR and NRF.
- Elected member of the US National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine, and foreign member of the Chinese, Indian, Spanish, German and French Academies of Sciences.
- Recipient of 18 honorary doctorate degrees from institutions in the USA, UK, China, India, Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Greece.
Prof. Tan Eng Chye
President, National University of Singapore (NUS)
- Professor Tan Eng Chye is the 5th President of the National University of Singapore (NUS), Singapore’s flagship higher education institution.
- Professor Tan obtained his Bachelor in Mathematics at NUS in 1985 and his PhD at Yale University in 1989. He is a passionate and award-winning educator. He was recognised with the University Teaching Award for Innovative Teaching in 1998, and had also won University and Faculty Teaching Excellence Awards.
- At NUS, Professor Tan seeded many initiatives such as the Special Programme in Science, University Town Residential College Programme, Grade-free Year, and Technology-enhanced Education. Professor Tan is widely regarded to be a pioneer architect of the current academic system in NUS.
- Professor Tan was conferred the Public Administration Medal (Gold) in 2014. In 2018, he was conferred the prestigious Wilbur Lucius Cross Medal, the highest award bestowed on an alumnus by Yale University and the Yale Graduate School Alumni Association.
Prof. Tan Thiam Soon
President, Singapore Institute of Technology
- Previously, served on ASPIRE and SkillsFuture Council. A member of the Board of SkillsFuture Singapore and the Land Transport Authority.
- Awarded Singapore’s Public Administration Medal, Silver (2008) and Gold (2017).
- Professional Engineer (Geotechnical).
Mr. Clarence Ti
Principal, Ngee Ann Polytechnic
- As the Principal of Ngee Ann Polytechnic, he currently seeks to actively promote entrepreneurship and globalization, support life-long learning and build a future ready campus.
- Served previously in the Singapore Economic Board, the Singapore Land Authority, the Ministry of Law and the Ministry of Finance.
- Board member, Action Community for Entrepreneurship and Board member, School of Science and Technology.
Dr. Azlinda Anwar
Assistant Director, Temasek Life Sciences Laboratory (TLL)
- Heads the grants, intellectual property/technology transfer and commercialization units of TLL; previous Head Innovation Catalyst of the Temasek Lifesciences Accelerator and Program Director of Temasek Life Sciences Venture.
- Served in the CFE Sub-Committee (Future Corporate Capabilities & Innovation [Innovation]); Inter-Ministry Committee on Food Security WG4; former Board member and R&D Board Committee of AVA; Censorship Review Committee 2009.
- More than 20 years of experience in the life sciences field, contributing in various capacities ranging from advisory committee members of international conferences to academic grants and international journal reviewer.
Mrs. Chew Kwee Tiang
Chief Executive Officer of Khoo Teck Puat Hospital and Yishun Health
- Responsible for strategic and operations management and leading Khoo Teck Puat Hospital, Yishun Community Hospital and Admiralty Medical Centre to deliver quality public healthcare in the North.
- Serves on the Management Board of Institute of Systems Science (ISS), ITE Healthcare Academic Advisory Committee (HAAC), Advisor to the Council of the Pharmaceutical Society of Singapore and member of the law disciplinary panel of Supreme Court.
- Received the CEO Award by Singapore Human Resources Institute; Medal of Commendation in recognition towards good labour management relations, workers’ welfare and NTUC initiatives and the National Day Public Administration Medal (Silver).
Mr. Alexander Charles Hungate
President and CEO, SATS Ltd.
- Currently serves as the President and Chief Executive Officer of SATS with the overall responsibility of leading the SATS Group.
- Over 25 years of global leadership experience, having held several top level appointments as Chief Executive Officer of HSBC in Singapore, Group Managing Director of Personal Financial Services and Marketing in London, Managing Director, Asia Pacific for Reuters in Hong Kong, and Co-Chief Executive Officer, Americas and Global Chief Marketing Officer for Reuters in New York.
- Serves as an Independent Director of United Overseas Bank, board member of the Singapore Economic Development Board.
Mr. Amos Leong
President & CEO, Univac Group
- Currently leads the Univac Group to provide a total integrated value chain, from design and engineering, to manufacturing and fulfillment of precision components, assemblies and devices, targeted at the medical, life science and FMCG industries.
- Prior to his current post, he was the Vice President and General Manager of Agilent Technologies for both electronics manufacturing and semiconductor test businesses.
Ms. Jamie Lim
Regional Marketing Director, Scanteak
- CEO of House of Teak (Singapore) Pte Ltd - Oversees Scanteak Singapore’s business operations and manages overseas franchises. Pioneered the company’s shift in operations towards an omni-channel approach.
- Regional Marketing Director of the Scanteak Group of Companies - Spearheads the Scanteak Group’s regional marketing and branding initiatives.
- Led the Scanteak brand to win awards such as: the Promising Brand Award (2005), CitiBusiness – SPBA Regional Brand Award (2006, 2013), SuperBrands (2009), the Singapore Good Design Award (2015), the Good Design Award (Japan) (2015), the IPOS Award for Design Innovation (2015) and the President’s Design Award Singapore (2015).
- Winner of the JCI TOYP (Ten Outstanding Young Persons of the World) Singapore Award 2012.
Dr. Lim Kuo-yi
Managing Partner, Monk's Hill Ventures
- Served as CEO of Infocomm Investments, a $200M venture fund based in Singapore investing in technology startups globally. At Infocomm Investments, Kuo-Yi led investments in Twilio, Dataxu, Reebonz, Quid, Gengo, DS3 and other leading startups.
- Previously, a founder, early employee, mentor and angel investor of early-stage technology startups spanning the US and Asia.
- He was a senior sales executive at Encentuate (acq. by IBM) and Reputation Technologies (acq. by Security Sources) and co-founder of SportsHook, a sport-focused SaaS platform.
- Kuo-Yi graduated from MIT with the bachelor, master’s and doctorate degrees in electrical engineering and he is also a board member of Health Promotion Board and Intellectual Property Office of Singapore.
Mr. Lim Ming Yan
Executive Non-Independent Director, CapitaLand Limited
- Director of CapitaLand Limited and Director of CapitaLand Hope Foundation, the Group's philanthropic arm.
- Director of Business China, Board Member of the Singapore Tourism Board, and Chairman of Workforce Singapore.
- Chief Executive Officer of CapitaLand China Holdings Pte Ltd from November 2000 to June 2009 where he was responsible for growing CapitaLand into a leading foreign real estate developer in China, and Chief Executive Officer of The Ascott Limited from July 2009 to February 2012.
- Named Outstanding Chief Executive (Overseas) at the Singapore Business Awards 2006 and was also conferred the prestigious Magnolia Award by the Shanghai Municipal Government in 2003 and 2005 for his significant contributions to Shanghai.
Mr. Kenneth Loo
Chief Operating Officer and Executive Director, Straits Construction Group
- Chief Operating Officer and Executive Director of Straits Construction. Director of several subsidiaries under the Straits Construction Group with over 25 years of service in the company.
- Currently the President of The Singapore Contractors Association Ltd (SCAL). As an effective voice of contractors, SCAL has been instrumental in advocating business-friendly practices, promoting industry development, and fostering a safe and productive work environment.
- Appointed as a Member of the Building and Construction Authority Board. Serves as a council member of the National Crime Prevention Council (NCPC). Member of Singapore Business Federation (SBF) Small and Medium Enterprises (SME) Committee.
Mr. Dilhan Pillay Sandrasegara
Deputy CEO, Temasek International Pte Ltd
- Joined Temasek in 2010. Previously Managing Partner of WongPartnership LLP. Member of Financial Centre Advisory Panel, Monetary Authority of Singapore.
- Board Member of Enterprise Singapore, National Research Foundation, Singapore Management University and Singapore Innovate Pte. Ltd.
Mr. Andreas Sohmen-Pao
Executive Chairman, BW Group
- Chairman of BW Offshore, BW LPG and Hafnia Tankers
- Chairman of Singapore Maritime Foundation.
- As CEO of BW, developed the company into a global maritime group in oil and gas production and shipping.
- Serves on the boards of NParks, Singapore Symphony Orchestra and as a trustee of the Lloyd’s Register Foundation.
Mr. Vincent Tan
Managing Director, Select Group Pte Ltd
- Founder and Managing Director of Select Group Pte Ltd and is primarily responsible for the overall management, strategic planning and business development of Select Group.
- Jointly chair the Lifestyle subcommittee under Future Economy Council with Senior Minister of State Sim Ann.
- President of Restaurant Association of Singapore.
- Committee member of Payments Council.
Ms. Teo Lay Lim
Senior Managing Director, Accenture
- Joined Accenture on March 1, 1988.
Currently responsible for Accenture’s business across ASEAN and a member of Accenture’s Global Leadership Council.
Held various APAC management consulting leadership roles from 2000-2011 and spent 2 years based in Shanghai 2007, 2007.
Serves on the board of the Institute for HR Professionals (IHRP).
Mr. Russell Tham
President, New Enterprises & Ventures
- Joined in March 2018 as a key member of ST Engineering’s senior management team and is responsible for the Group’s business expansion into new market adjacencies beyond its current core businesses, with a focus on health, medical, and digital economy.
- Spent 24 years at Applied Materials, the world’s #1 company for semiconductor equipment and services. He last held the position of President, South East Asia, overseeing its regional business, infrastructure and strategy while concurrently assuming business development responsibilities for new markets and strategic alliances. He was also the Head of Global Continuous Improvement in 2012 where he led the deployment of productivity initiatives within its’ global manufacturing and supply chain operations.
- Serves on the board of Singapore’s Energy Market Authority, Temasek Polytechnic and National University of Singapore’s Faculty of Engineering. Served on the Committee of Future Economy, CFE in 2016. Conferred the Public Service Medal in 2017.
Mr. Oliver Tonby
Chairman, Asia (excluding Greater China), McKinsey & Company
- As Chairman of McKinsey’s offices in Asia (excluding Greater China), he oversees the firm’s practice in Australia, India, Japan, Korea and Southeast Asia.
Core leader of McKinsey’s Digital Capability Centre (DCC) in Singapore, an Industry 4.0-focused model factory, to drive digital transformation of companies in Southeast Asia.
Previously the Managing Partner for Southeast Asia and the global co-lead for McKinsey’s firmwide ‘All-In’ initiative, which develops and shares innovative ways of working that promote gender inclusivity and women’s leadership.
A frequent commentator on regional growth, having authored the McKinsey Global Institute (MGI) report “Southeast Asia at the crossroads: Three paths to prosperity”.
Vice President, Asia, Forescout Technologies
- Founding Partner, Board Member RekaNext Capital Partners Pte. Ltd.
- Previously Vice President at Palo Alto Networks, McAfee, EMC in ASEAN, Asia- Pacific.
- Board Member of NTUC Fairprice, EZ-Link & WorkForce Singapore.
- Member Advisory Council M3 (MUIS, MESRA, Mendaki).
- Member Advisory Committee, School of Computing - Singapore Polytechnic; Singapore Prisons IDAC, Mendaki Digital Transformation Committee.
- Former Board Member Land Transport Authority, Association of Muslim Professional.
- Friend of Labor Award 2017, Singapore Labour Movement.